Once your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) has been processed, you are able to make certain types of changes to it. Below I have listed the types of changes that may need to be made and how to make those changes.FAFSA1

What kinds of changes can be made?

Entered the incorrect SSN? Here’s how to change it:

If you entered incorrect information when completing your FAFSA, you will have to change it. However, if you completed the FAFSA online, you are not allowed to change your social security number (SSN). If you entered an incorrect SSN, you will need to ask the financial aid office at the school you plan to attend whether you should complete a new FAFSA with the correct information.

Updates: if your situation has changed

A majority of the information on the FAFSA cannot be updated because it must be accurate as of the day you filed your FAFSA. If there happens to be a significant change in you or your parent/guardian’s income or your family has circumstances that cannot be reported on the FAFSA then you should speak with the financial aid office at the school you are planning to attend.

You can update your mailing address, and other contact information if it has changed.

The following are a list of changes that must be updated:untitled

You must update anything that changes your dependency status; such as, if you are now pregnant or are now in legal guardianship). If your marital status changes then you must speak to the financial aid office to determine how they want you to proceed in terms of the FAFSA.

If you are selected for verification, you must update your FAFSA if there is a change in the number of family members in your/your parent’s household.

If you are selected for verification, you must update your FAFSA if there is a change in the number of people in your/your parents household that are in college.

Changes to Federal school codes: if you want to add or delete a school

You want to be sure that you include all of the institutions that you may attend so your FAFSA information is available to them. If you want to add an additional school then you can add them using the schools Federal Code. Note: you can list no more than 10 schools on your FAFSA at one time.

How do I make changes to my FAFSA?

You can make changes in several ways:

fasfaMake changes at fafsa.gov:

  1. Click on the “login” button and provide the information requested to get into your account.
  2. On the My FAFSA page, click “Make FAFSA Corrections.”
  3. Change your information.
  4. Submit your new FAFSA.


Write in the corrections or updates on your paper Student Aid Report (SAR), sign it, and mail it to the address provided on the SAR.

Check with the financial aid office at the school you plan to attend; the school might be able to make the changes for you electronically.

If you did not sign your FAFSA electronically, you will have to re-send in a signature page every time you make a change!

Important! Be sure to keep you and your parent/guardians FSA ID in a safe place. You will need that to login, sign, and submit your FAFSA every year that you are required to file the FAFSA!




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s